Republic Act No. 6958 dated 31 July 1990 created the Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) attached to the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC).
Under RA 6958, the Authority is mandated to undertake the economical, efficient and effective control, management and supervision of the MCIAA in the Province of Cebu and the Lahug Airport in Cebu City, and such other airports as may be established in the Province of Cebu.
The MCIAA’s vision is to be a dynamic corporation entity operating as a major hub in the Asia Pacific Region manned by professional, competent and experienced men and women committed to provide quality and efficient services to its clients.
Guided by said mandate and vision, the MCIAA would pursue the following mission.
- Operate an airport using the optimum standards of aviation to ensure safety, security, and comfort of all airport users and stakeholders;
- Promote a socially responsible organization that cares for people and the environment while promoting tourism and business development; and
- Build a lasting culture of excellence , service and profitability.
The objectives of the MCIAA include the following;
- Encourage, promote and develop international and domestic air traffic in the Central Visayas and Mindanao regions as a means of making the region centers of international trade and tourism, and accelerating the development of the means of transportation and communication in the country; and
- Upgrade the services and facilities of the airpoirts and formulate internationally acceptable standards of airport accommodation and service.
As provided for under existing laws, the MCIAA is mandated to undertake the following core functions:
- Formulate a comprehensive and integrated development policy and program for the airports and to implement, review and update such policy and program periodically;
- Control, supervise, construct, maintain, operate and provide such facilities of services as necessary;
- Promulgate rules and regulations governing the planning, development, maintenance, operation and improvement of the airports, and to control and supervise the construction of any structure or the rendition of any service within the airports;
- Exercise all the powers of corporation under the Corporation Code of the Philippines, insofar as the same are consistent with the provision of RA 6958;
- Retain and appropriate dues, fees, and charges collected by the Authority relative to the use of airport premises for such measures as may be necessary;
- Invest its idle lands in government securities and other evidence of indebtedness; and
- Provide services, whether on its own or otherwise, within the airports and the approaches thereof as may be necessary or in connection with the maintenance and operation of the airports and their facilities.